Enhancing digital security, privacy and trust in software
- Tapiador, Juan (PI)
- González-Tablas, Ana Isabel
- Peris-López, Pedro
- de Fuentes, José María
- Pastrana, Sergio
- González-Manzano, Lorena
- Cámara, Carmen
Users often get exposed to security and privacy (S&P) threats when they use digital services for social networking, entertainment, banking, education, health, or home security. The factors behind digital S&P threats are numerous and interconnected, as a combined result of inappropriate software practices, bad user habits, and lack of regulatory enforcement and certification methods, among others. To define effective digital S&P policies and to establish a long-term vision, it is needed to have data, information, and a body of knowledge on privacy, data protection and the associated ethical, legal and socio-economic aspects. TRUST aWARE aims to address this situation by providing actionable intelligence and tools for the different connected stakeholders, to offer effective mechanisms to protect the freedom, security, and privacy of citizens, enhancing TRUST on SoftWARE, cybersafety, and EU’s market position.
TRUST aWARE will facilitate this by delivering:
- User-friendly tools to protect consumers against S&P cyberthreats (attacks, abusive practices, inappropriate behaviours of digital services) to enable them to better understand, control, detect and respond to S&P threats in a timely manner, and configuring their own S&P protection settings.
- Collective intelligence for CERTs and Authorities in collaboration with citizens, CISOs and DPOs to ensure and audit that digital products and their S&P practices are transparent, secure and compliant with regulation.
- Knowledge to foster S&P-by-design in software engineering by supporting developers and operators with standards and certification methods for compliance with S&P regulations.
- By providing tools for key stakeholders along the whole cycle, and supporting cooperation and intelligence sharing, TRUST aWARE will minimize the impact of cyberthreats, empowering users, promoting collective awareness, and encouraging trustworthy S&P-preserving digital products in compliance with regulation.